[StBernard] River's Mud Could Mold Coast

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 2 13:16:58 EDT 2006

www.nola.com article "River's mud could mold coast"

One of the most significant developments in the near future could be an Army
Corps of Engineers plan to use dredged material from the Mississippi River
for a nearby restoration project.

In recent decades, a small fraction of that material has been intercepted
and pumped out of the river by commercial sand-mining operations that sell
it for home foundations. Far more is dredged by the Army Corps of Engineers
to keep the river clear for navigation. Much of that is carried by ship into
the Gulf and dumped off the Continental Shelf.
But this spring, 75 years after the levees went up, the corps plans to use
some of the dredged material for wetlands restoration. The dredge ship
Stuyvesant, operated by corps contractor CF Bean, is scheduled to scoop up
sand and sediment from the river bottom near the Mississippi's Southwest
Pass and shoot it through a pipeline to rebuild marshes south of Venice.

CF Bean Vice President Ancil Taylor said similar methods have been used by
his company for decades on beach renourishment jobs up and down the East
Coast, but rarely in Louisiana. "It isn't like we're trying to reinvent
going to the moon," he said. "It's proven and practical and being used in
other states."

..... Hello ... we could have been doing this for years with all the
dredging done to the MR-GO!!

Full article
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-5/11439640265160
0.xml