[StBernard] abandoned property

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 4 13:53:17 EDT 2006

I am replying to the person who thinks we should all be out there cleaning
our homes and pulling our weeds. I have not done anything with our home.
I am now living out of state because that's the only place I could find a
job. I was working for those losers at Chalmette Medical (that company
that let people die at the hospital instead of evacuating). I cannot get
back to gut out the house. Why would I gut it out anyway when we have no
answers on the areas allowed to rebuild and the levees aren't fixed. Why
would I want to go through losing everything again? It's been hard
starting over anyway and why would I want to live my life not knowing the
next time this could happen again? Some people say this kind of hurricane
happens rarely and the last one was betsy many years ago. Well I am in my
late 20's and if this happens again in 40 years then would I want to start
over again at age 70? My home may have to be demolished. Why would I
spend money to gut the home now? I understand others that may live near me
that are coming back don't agree with this and don't want to live by
abandoned houses but I am on the list for the volunteers to gut it out. I
understand the people that miss their homes but it won't be the same if
you rebuild.
It was more of the people that I missed and everyone is scattered now.
People that had families moved on and put their kids in school somewhere
else. I wanted to start a family soon and it wouldn't be fair to them to
raise them in that environment. I want to be close to family soon but you
won't catch me living in the parish. Our leaders have let us down.
I am waiting to see what happens later this year in hurricane season.

anonymous