[StBernard] New Orleans-Based National D-Day Museum Extends Reach With 2006 Victory In Europe Tours

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 4 22:50:10 EDT 2006

This news release was distributed by the PR Web Newswire on behalf of the
organization below.

We have sent you this press release based on your media profile at
eMediaWire.com. You can edit your profile at
http://www.prweb.com/mlogin/54947/e138262cdff78ec/

-----------

New Orleans-Based National D-Day Museum Extends Reach With 2006 Victory In
Europe Tours

"We are all in this together."

NEW ORLEANS (PRWEB) April 4, 2006 -- Americans from all walks of life said
"We are all in this together" during World War II, when the country fought
as one against fascism to preserve our nation's democracy.

Today, the above refrain is even more accurate as the New Orleans-based
National D-Day Museum (www.ddaymuseum.org) continues its mission of
celebrating the American spirit despite a lengthy closure and significant
decrease in visitors as the Gulf Coast region continues to struggle in the
aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The Museum, designated by Congress as
America's National World War II Museum, went international last fall when it
announced two one-week "Victory in Europe" tours from June 1 to 16, 2006.
Due to popular demand the June 1st to 8th tour is sold out and an additional
tour has been added for September 1 to 8, 2006.

With the support of the Museum's Director of Research, World War II
scholars, veterans and French resistance fighters, travelers can learn
first-hand about the solidarity exhibited in World War II with tours that
follow the Allies from the beginning of the D-Day invasion plans in London
through the final days of the war at Hitler's famed Eagle's Nest in
Berchtesgaden, Germany.

"The very essence of The National D-Day Museum's educational mission always
has been to convey the optimism and strength of the American spirit," noted
Museum President and CEO Dr. Gordon H. "Nick" Mueller. "Indeed, after the
devastation of Hurricane Katrina and the hardships we anticipate during the
rebuilding of our great city, it's only fitting that The National D-Day
Museum reinforce the messages of courage, teamwork, sacrifice, and ingenuity
that characterized the American people during World War II. We are bringing
the Museum to the people with a variety of virtual and experiential
programs, and our 'Victory in Europe' travel series enables us to offer a
one-of-a-kind experience to today's generations while continuing the
expansion of our campus and the programs as planned prior to the hurricane."

Each week-long tour represents a rare opportunity to hear the personal
recollections from World War II veterans, most of whom are in their
eighties. The tours, led by the Museum's Director of Research, Martin K.A.
Morgan, will include lecturers and presentations by World War II veterans
Harold "Hal" Baumgarten, 116th Infantry Regiment of the 29th Infantry
Division and George H. Leidenheimer, 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment/82nd
Airborne Division, as well as French resistance fighters and native experts
in Luxembourg and Germany.

Each all-inclusive tour package includes hotel accommodations with
breakfasts and at least four dinners, excursions and entrance fees,
full-time historians, tour escorts and presentations by guest speakers. The
June 8th to 16th Paris-Berchtesgaden tour begins at $4,490 per person. The
September 1st to 8th London-Paris tour begins at $3,990 per person. Options
for combining both tours is available upon request. A detailed itinerary is
available at: http://www.ddaymuseum.org/travel/index.html. For more
information visit: www.ddaymuseum.org, call: 1-877-813-3329, ext. 257.

# # #

Press Contact: Judith Musa