[StBernard] Catholics to Run St. Bernard Health Center

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 5 09:52:51 EDT 2006

Catholics to Run St. Bernard Health Center

April 4 , 2006

By: Steve Cannizaro

----

Catholic healthcare organizations officially announce they will run St.
Bernard Health Center

The Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System (FMOL), one of the
largest Catholic health systems in the state of Louisiana, and St.
Louis-based Ascension Health, the largest Catholic health system in the
U.S., have joined together to run the St. Bernard Parish Health Center at
the disaster center at the Super Wal-Mart parking lot in Chalmette.

As one of the areas most impacted by Hurricane Katrina, St. Bernard Parish
lost all healthcare services and has been supported in medical service by
the U.S. Public Health Service as several local physicians. But the Public
Health Service personnel left Sunday, April 2, and the health center has
been turned over to the Franciscans and Ascension Health.as of Monday,

The health center is in a triple-wide trailer office in the Super Wal-Mart
parking lot but after all needed equipment has been obtained the services
will move to a 22,000-square-foot metal barracks-type building in the
Wal-Mart parking lot. That changeover could come in two to three weeks,
officials have said.

The partnership will operate the St. Bernard Health Center as a
fee-for-service clinic accepting most insurance coverage or a sliding scale
payment.

Hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily, including weekends.
Services will continue to focus on primary care. Treating physicians will be
able to provide prescriptions which can be filled at any commercial
pharmacy.
.
According to FMOL Health System President and CEO John Finan, "The many
volunteers, residents and public agency representatives who have stepped in
to provide important access to care in St. Bernard since Hurricane Katrina
can certainly be counted as heroes. The needs remain great and we know that
stable and sustained healthcare services are critical for rebuilding this
area. Our partnership with Ascension Health extends the mission of Catholic
healthcare which is dedicated to the healing ministry of Jesus Christ
reaching out especially to those most in need."

"We look forward to our partnership with the Franciscan Missionaries of Our
Lady Health System as we address the ongoing healthcare needs of the people
of St. Bernard Parish," said Anthony R. Tersigni, President and CEO of
Ascension Health. "This effort is consistent with both our Mission and, in a
particular way, our Call to Action promise of Healthcare That Leaves No One
Behind. Our Mission is at the heart of all we do."

Michael J. Pisciotta, RN, BSN will serve as the St. Bernard Health Center's
administrator. Prior to being tapped for this role, Pisciotta served as
assistant administrator for Chalmette Medical Centers.

He has held a number of positions with Chalmette including Assistant
Director of Nursing since joining the Medical Center as a staff nurse in
1993. Finan also said, "Mr. Pisciotta has been actively involved in the
recovery efforts for St. Bernard parish and understands first-hand the many
challenges facing restoration of healthcare to the area. As importantly, he
shares our mission of compassionate service and we look forward to his
leadership in these important months of rebuilding."

The Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System (www.fmolhs.org) is
comprised of St. Francis Medical Center and St. Francis North Hospital in
Monroe, Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge, Our
Lady of Lourdes Medical Center in Lafayette, St. Elizabeth Hospital in
Gonzales and Assumption Community Hospital in Napoleonville.

The system's 7,000 employees provide healthcare services to almost half of
the state's population. The Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady sponsor this
healthcare ministry. Corporate offices are located in Baton Rouge.

Ascension Health (www.ascensionhealth.org) is the nation's largest Catholic
and largest nonprofit health system, with more than 105,000 associates
serving in 20 states and the District of Columbia.

Consistent with its Mission to serve all people with special attention to
those who are poor and vulnerable, Ascension Health is a leader in
transforming healthcare through patient-centered, holistic care of the
highest quality. In Louisiana, the Daughters of Charity Services of New
Orleans (DCSNO) is an Ascension Health member. Ascension Health's
partnership with FMOLHS will operate in coordination with but separately
from the ongoing efforts of DCSNO.