[StBernard] house demolition

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 5 21:00:51 EDT 2006

Deborah,

If you could have this contractor give me a call, I would like to check his
source of information. I can tell you what FEMA reps have told us: FEMA
paid contractors can not be hired to work the contract of a house privately-
I have asked for an official written ruling on this but we rarely are able
to get a written statement from them.

As far as the ICC money- we do not have any information about ICC money
being gobbled up for demolition- debris and demolition costs are a separate
funding mechanism, unless the owner does the demolition on their own- ICC
is INCREASED COST OF COMPLIANCE funds and are payable through the flood
insurance program. If a house is demolished by the parish contractor the
owner is not ineligible for ICC funds if they meet the criteria.
Additionally, ICC funds are UP TO 30,000 not an automatic 30,000.

As far as the form stating the assignment of benefits- this is a required
statement by FEMA and is meant to notify individuals that they are not
allowed by FEMA to receive work done by the parish paid for by FEMA and then
receive money for the service that they did not pay for- FEMA classifies
this as a duplication of benefits.

I am all for allowing people to access FEMA funding to have their demolition
done privately, but it is not part of the FEMA approved process. That is
why residents can not even bring their own debris to the temporary storage
sites.

Hope this clears some things up.

Craig