[StBernard] abandoned houses

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 5 22:36:49 EDT 2006

Jer,

I always love reading your insight musings...god where do you have the
time for such deep thought, I'm barely able to keep up with FEMA, insurance
and kids...

Wendy Hall

"Katrina has taughed us many lessons and opened our eyes so that we see
things that were overlooked before. One of those things is the break down of
family and neighbors. I see that on this web site. There has been a lot of
finger pointing and who are the haves and have-nots. Things about those who
have insurance verus those who did not. Now it is who is cleaning and who is
not. Everyone in this parish has had a great lost. The residents, whether
renting or buying. And what is upseting is that not all our families,
friends and neighbors are not getting together is some way to help each
other. I know some are, but not all. Our grown children, our nephews and 2
of our childrens friends got together and helped us, my parents, my in-laws
and one of our friends empty out our houses. They made sure that all the
heavy, hard to move by yourself items were taken out first. They did not
empty or gut the entire houses, but at least the hard items. They rest we
can slowly do ourselves. It seems years ago this is how things got done,
with the help of family, friends and neighbors. What happen to our society?
==CASSAVEDO"

****Just an observation however: Katrina literally has "spent" energies,
resources, motivation and to many, a point to continue forward at a very
conservative pace. To those who have "lost everything" (meaning having
invested all they had into their family dwelling in possessions and
property), waiting cautiously (and not necessarily cautiously
optimistically), is more the norm than not--considering 80-85% of
inhabitants are withstanding/withholding from reihabitating St. Bernard. The
"have's" who were made whole with insurance/savings/etc. were in position to
continue on with their lives financially, while those who were
not-so-fortunate has little resources to do so. They must depend on
financial help from programs/plans which have yet to be enacted.

Perhaps it is the energies as in this writer's case that are spent in
anxiety (which as we know that it takes a lot of will power, emotional
strength because one who worries incessantly can drain his/her vigor to
exhaustion. It's hard to place into words, but incentive to a "huge loser"
from the storm is nil. Entire families have lost pride, will and being
thrown to the bottom can crush huge egos faster than a incoming meteor.

A huge motivator seems to be good things happening to people. When good
things happen (especially consistantly) an emotional high develops with each
passing goodness. Hearing good news, (such as grants/recovery options),
having financial breaks, ..little by little rebuilds one's spirit.

I did notice that many victims have become calloused/hardened by the storm.
Many of us are more edgy, determined, and provoked by waits, disappointments
and failures. I suppose it can be said if anything good comes out of it, one
has become more "street smart, book smart and internet savvy" by the
experience.

As to "What Happened to our society?", displaced people have been separated
from its *support system*. Doctors, friends, churches, etc. separations
seemed to add to the chilling effect. So surreal. If a smaller community
that exists in St. Bernard have the old-fashioned "build the barn"
helpfulness, I haven't noticed it in years. I knew it didn't exist for me
before the storm, as it must have left lives in da parish and other places
long before. Some would think that this disaster would have narrowed down
the ills of non-social conforming. Whether distrustful natures still exists
or a friendly-environment is not yet in place, presently--it's
understandable until we can break down our fear of the unknown. We distrust
everyone and anyone these days. Who is our neighbor, anyway?

We can blame it on technology, perhaps. When we went to
air-conditioning/central heating, perhaps. When we went inside, we stayed
there with televisions, radio, and now computers. See what happens when we
have a power failure and everyone is outside discussing the latest with
their neighbors?

--Jer--