[StBernard] Returning Residents

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 6 20:56:01 EDT 2006

I just have to say that I agree...we have no answers to so many
questions...many people are waiting to have their homes gutted...and the
parish is not supposed to act on doing anything to those homes...this is a
very long process...personally...we paid a little over $6,000 to have our
home gutted...someone recently told me that because we have a two
story...that my home has to come down..if this is true...I wasted this
money...we will not do anything further until we have answers...
clm

> Sheila,

> I don't think anybody is being vicious here. People on both sides

> need to understand that others have legitimate reasons for what they

> do. If you have decided to return, that's fine, but I'm sure you went

back to St.

> Bernard knowing that, for a while at least, things will not be

> anything like they used to be. Part of the decision to return is made

> with the knowledge that, for a long while, a lot of your neighbors'

> homes are likely to be sitting empty. For many of us who have not

> returned, financial considerations play a very large role in what we

> do with our property. Yes, we can sign up for the free gutting (I

> have), but because of the sheer volume of destroyed houses, in many

> neighborhoods that free gutting is not going to happen in the

> foreseeable future, if ever. Other than signing up for free gutting,

> for many people, it makes no financial sense to put any money into

> gutting a house until all options (buyout, etc.) are clear, so they are

just not going to do it. I do not see that as being irresponsible.

> On the contrary, in my view, spending several thousand dollars to gut

> a house would be financially irresponsible if I may very well take the

> buyout, depending on the terms. And, many homeowners will

> legitimately resist anyone trying to force them to put thousands of

> dollars into a house when the Parish has said (Duany plan) that they

> do not want rebuilding in that area. Yes, at some point the

> government needs to step in and force property owners to do something

> with abandoned property. But that cannot happen until the property

> owner has all his options on the table. It is not irresponsible to

> wait until we have all those options before spending significant amounts

of money. That's making financially prudent decisions.