[StBernard] WORKFORCE GRANT MONEY training to be held in Covington - FYI.......

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 12 20:26:31 EDT 2006

I attended a meeting of the Workforce Investment Board, and asked about
programs which may assist staffing of businesses in St. Bernard Parish.
Here's the result:
1) Help with recruiting (customized) with the LA. Dept. of Labor. An
employee of the state can be assigned to your company for specific
recruiting assistance depending upon your needs.
2) Training - can qualify for training $ for the entire recruited workforce.
For new, non-returning employees, the state will pay 100% of wages for month
1, 80% for months 2-3, and 50% for the next 3 months. A 6-month training
package.
3) Since Katrina, the rules have been relaxed, and new features added to
get your former employees to return. This may take the form of gas debit
cards, clothing stipend, and child care reimbursement.
Please see the forward for more information and a link to an application
www.theworkforceconnection.com.
Contacts with the State for this program:
Tommy Boucher jobcenterdude at gmail.com
Melissa Kirsch mbkirsch at gmail.com
Warmest regards,
Gary Huettmann, EDC

________________________________

Subject: WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT GRANT MONIES ARE AVAILABLE!!!!!

Hello!

Our Job Centers in St. Tammany have monies available for staff training,
and we are having several workshops, to explain the specific information on
these grant monies. Because your business may be among the targeted
industries, in our federally-funded workforce-training program, you are
urged to come to one of two informational meetings, at the West St. Tammany
Chamber office.

Our First Planning District - Workforce Investment Board (WIB) has received
$14,000,000 for workforce development and training. Applications from
businesses such as yours are now being received to conduct customized
training programs, at our local Job Centers.

In order to have your business' training costs covered by this funding, you
must apply for funds to cover one or more customized training programs
specific to your business!

Customized training is defined as training that is designed to meet the
specific requirements of an employer or group of employers. The employer
commits to employ or continue to employ the person/employee upon their
completion of the program. There are also funds available to cover OJT-On
the Job Training, for new employees.

Targeted business sectors that have been given funding priority are
healthcare, and construction - these are two of St. Tammany's primary
industries. Also, shipbuilding, creative industries, process technology,
and hospitality related training, have been given funding priority.

Since St. Tammany has the second largest population in the region it is
critical that our parish's businesses take advantage of this recovery
program. To learn more about this opportunity to train and grow your
employee workforce, we are sponsoring two informational sessions in St.
Tammany Parish. I strongly encourage you to choose one of these sessions,
and make reservations to attend it.

3:00 pm, Tuesday, April 25, 2006

------ OR -------

8:00 am, Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Training sessions will be held at the
St Tammany West Chamber of Commerce
610 Hollycrest Blvd
Covington, Louisiana

Information will be presented by Kendra Carrone and Melissa Kirsch from the
Workforce Investment Act unit of the Louisiana Department of Labor. They
will describe the application process and answer questions concerning
eligible training and program costs, priority of services, recruitment,
time-lines and other criteria to ensure your customized training program is
funded. You may view and download the application, before the meeting at:
www.theworkforceconnection.com <http://www.theworkforceconnection.com/> .
For additional information about the program, call Kendra Carrone at
985-646-6410. Or, to reserve your seat, you can call the Chamber at
892-3216, ext. 2, to do so!

Thank you!

Shane Boucher
East St. Tammany Job Center
LAWORKS.net

P.S. Our next Job Fair is scheduled for Slidell on June 7th.
P.S. The next Job Fair in Chalmette is scheduled for April 20th.
(if you need any info on either event, please contact me)