[StBernard] Governor's Statement

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 12 21:35:40 EDT 2006

Governor responds to Powell, FEMA release of New Orleans Advisory Flood
Data: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Revision of Levee Cost Estimate

"Homeowners now have their answer. FEMA has finally released the long
awaited and much anticipated flood advisories which are a crucial element
for residents determining how to rebuild their homes. When I said "enough
was enough" in my State of the State address, I meant it with every fiber of
my being. Our citizens want to make responsible decisions and this important
news today will help them tremendously.

"In my meeting with Chairman Don Powell and General Strock today, we all
agreed that strong, fortified levees will restore the confidence to rebuild
and reinvest in southeast Louisiana. The good news is that the additional
cost to build stronger levees is now estimated to be $4.1 billion instead of
the initial estimate of $6 billion. Because time is of the essence, I ask
President Bush to submit a clear and firm request to Congress to add the
$4.1 billion into the Supplemental Appropriations as it goes to the Senate
floor.

"People need to be! safe. We have a moral obligation and duty to keep them
safe. We need to know that there is a federal commitment to restore safety
and protect our citizens. "

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's
People www.louisianahelp.org