[StBernard] FEMA map site

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 13 22:25:12 EDT 2006

Hi folks,
Try this link: www.msc.fema.gov

I also found this on the FEMA site if you search or create a FIRMETTE:

Flood Hazard Zones in Coastal Areas
(see the sample FIRM on the next page)
--V zones are those areas closest to the shoreline and subject to wave
action, high- velocity flow, and erosion during the 100-year flood.
--A zones are areas subject to flooding during the 100-year flood, but where
flood conditions are less severe than those in V zones.
--AO zones are areas subject to shallow flooding or sheet flow during the
100- year flood. If they appear on a coastal FIRM, they will most likely
occur on the landward slopes of coastal dunes. Flood depths, rather than
BFEs, are shown for AO zones.
--X zones are areas that are not expected to flood during the 100-year
flood.
--Newer FIRMs label zones as "VE" (V zone with BFE determined) and "AE" (A
zone with BFE determined).
--Older FIRMs label zones with a letter and number (e.g., A1, A10, V10).
Ignore the number and look at the letter.
--Older FIRMs label X zones as zone "B" or zone "C." Treat the old and new
zone designations the same.
[End of Textbox]

Looking at the map of my area it shows Zone "B" which I interpret to be the
same as "X" as described above.

Hope this helps!
Jim York