[StBernard] damage assessment

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 16 01:35:58 EDT 2006

JY,

These improvements will count and most likely push you over the limit.
Here's a couple of FAQ's directly from FEMA 213 / Answers to Questions About
Substantially Damaged Buildings

24. Q. What happens when a structure is damaged, but not substantially, and
during the repair the owner also makes an addition, rehabilitation or other
improvement to the structure?

A. It is not uncommon for a homeowner who has sustained damage to his/her
structure to decide to simultaneously improve the structure while repairs
are being made. For example, the owner of a building which was 30% damaged
in a flood will, while repairing the damage, have an additional room (30%
improvement) constructed. Under circumstances where two types of
improvements (e.g., an addition and repair due to damage as given above) are
made to a structure, and the combined total of these improvements is equal
to or greater than 50% of the structure's pre-damage market value, the
structure is considered a substantial improvement.

---

Unfortunately, the booklet I'm quoting doesn't have any other examples other
than adding a new room. Common sense says you should be ok, but we are
talking FEMA here and not common sense.

Break some items out of your estimate. You never need a permit for flooring
or cabinet work, so that can always be added "later". You won't have a FEMA
inspector come to your home, so just do what you need to do, then once you
are back in your home, sit down with your insurance agent and make sure you
don't need to make any changes to your flood policy becaue of improvements.

Westley