[StBernard] the French Quarter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 17 19:42:45 EDT 2006

Sorry to hear about mess in French Quarter. From one who was in the tourism
and hospitality industry for many years, and for the last few years
preceding Katrina, what you described, is what I would see every Sunday
morning when I walked down the French Quarter streets. What I would also
see were each business there outside cleaning up the Saturday night mess.
By the time I would leave, usually around 1 p.m., the quarter would be
bustling everything would be clean again. I guess this is another one of
those things where there are not enough employees to do the cleaning, and
not enough income to support the employees to clean.

It all goes back to the same old thing "volunteers". If the pride is really
there, those living there need to step in and get it done. Unfortunately,
for years, the tourists spending their money, came in with the impression
that "anything goes" in the French Quarter, and those responsible in the
city of New Orleans allowed them to get away with doing things in our city
that they would not think of doing in their own.

Too bad, we can't go around giving early morning wake up calls to those who
did the damage the day before to come on out and clean it up the next day.

Kathleen