[StBernard] Elevation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 24 08:22:51 EDT 2006

Jer,

The number behind the A on a flood map is not the elevation for that zone.
It's more like a relative number. An A1 is better than an A2 which is
better than an A3.

The Times-Picayune published a flood map for the metro area that shows two
different A2 zones in St. Bernard, one with a base flood of +1' and another
with a base flood of -2'. Of course, only the Feds could put two A2 zones
next to each other, one with a BFE of -2' and the other with a BFE of -1.5'.

The Times-picayune map, which looks like it goes down to around Archbishop
Hannan Blvd is available here:
<"http://www.nola.com/katrina/pdf/current_flood_map.pdf">

You can also go to FEMA's web site to view the flood maps, which also lists
the elevations for those that in are flood zones other than A.
<"http://tinyurl.com/ln7p8">

Westley