[StBernard] Governor responds to Senate recommendations

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 27 18:13:18 EDT 2006

Governor responds to Senate recommendations

"The state has worked extremely hard to implement lessons learned. We have
reformed and strengthened the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency
Preparedness, making it a cabinet level agency with direct report to the
governor. We are working to protect our most vulnerable population - our
elderly in nursing homes-to see that they are properly evacuated before a
storm threatens their lives. A bill is currently before the legislature to
do just that. I have put forward many other emergency management measures
this legislative session so that responders will have the tools they need to
save lives and protect property.

"FEMA is injured. It's going to take more than surgery and a cast to mend
it. To restore the nation's confidence in times of crisis, the call for help
must be answered and it must be answered quickly. I'm pleased that Congress
and the White House are tackling this issue.

"It's no secret that I've long believed the Stafford Act is ! inadequate to
deal with natural and manmade disasters of the magnitude that hit Louisiana
last year. I urge Congress to consider the entirety of the nation's ability
to respond quickly and adequately to catastrophic events like Katrina. Until
then, any emergency agency will fail to meet the needs of protecting the
people."

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's
People www.louisianahelp.org