[StBernard] drainage

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 2 19:35:03 EDT 2006

To Craig-

A few months ago you said the parish had an ongoing contractor working
to vacuum out the drainage lines, and this would be ongoing for awhile.
Obviously, with the loss of a month of URG due to the payment issue,
the confusion over debris removal in the expanded Murphy area, and the
continual extension of time for citizens to declare their intentions,
debris will be around for quite longer, thus catch basins and drains
will be in continual need of cleaning.

With the rain of last Wed., it became readily apparent as to where the
worst clogs are. Did anyone working for the parish make note of where?
I suspect not. If there was a way for those of us who are in our
neighborhoods and were driving around standing rainwater days after the
rain to call or email a person who is assigning where the vacuum
trucks go to work, then the trucks could give priority to those blocks.
For example, I could report that the 2800 block of Corinne Drive had a
serious drainage problem if I knew who to advise.

Also, as simple as it sounds, people need to be pushed into bagging as
much as they can to save our drainage system. Obviously, the initial
house gutting is too huge and there is no way to bag large items. But,
I could scream when I see people who come to their houses, and throw
individual items of trash on the curb that could easily fit into a
trash bag. Those small things get blown around and end up in a drain
line, ditch or canal, although sometimes I feel it must all find their
way onto the property of person who is daily picking up litter at their
property in an attempt to return to civilization.

Is there some publicity the parish could put out urging people to bag
all trash items as much as possible once their initial gutting has been
picked up?

ddk