[StBernard] St. Bernard Poem

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 2 22:12:36 EDT 2006

A good friend sent this to me today. I wanted to share it with ya'll --

It was 6:10am
August 29th was the date
when all of New Orleans would learn of their fate.
Hurricane Katrina was coming ashore
our lives would change forevermore.
We were glued to our TV's, couldn't believe what we saw..
we sat there frozen, in shock and in awe.
We punched on our laptops just to get a view...
of the horrific confirmations we already knew.
Miles of rooftops in black murky water.
How could we watch this? What could be harder?
Thanks to text messaging that we all learned to send it was the only way we
could talk...friend to friend.
When we realized we wouldn't be home for a while, we scrambled to find a
school for our child.
This was hard for her you see,
cause at Hannan High she was as happy as could be.
Now to find a place to live,
Price gouging, gas shortages...something had to give!
We tossed and turned over what we should do go back and rebuild? Or just
start anew?
We never dreamed what would consume our day, FEMA, State Farm, Allstate.
SBA.

Before we knew it 06 was here,
and the answers to our questions were STILL unclear.
Is it safe to go back with all the black mold?
Or the really big question...will our levees hold?

I missed all of my friends who were oh so dear, cause all of our lives we
lived so near.
Before the storm we were minutes apart.
Now we've all made a new start.
It hasn't stopped us from having our fun now it's just a longer run.
Everything must be planned ahead.
Oh....and don't forget your blow up bed!

Someday our conversations will no longer be insurance, The Baker Bill or the
broken levees.
Instead we'll be having our pot luck dinners to watch the Saints who will
never be winners.
We'll soon be planning weddings and showers, ordering limo's, cakes and
flowers you see.....life will return to normal one day, but there is one
thing more I have to say.
I'll make the best of it where ever I'll be But St. Bernard will ALWAYS be
home for me.
I'll smile again and laugh again where ever I roam....
but St. Bernard....will always be home.

Jo