[StBernard] IRS disaster loss kit

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun May 14 12:23:43 EDT 2006

Pck,

I'm not a CPA, so I may be off on this.

I don't think it is so much that senior citizens can't file for the IRS
Disaster Loss so much as it just doesn't benefit them in a sense.

The disaster loss is what can be considered a top line deduction. This
means it reduces income. If you don't have any income, you can't reduce it.

I believe you can carry losses forward until they are used, so it may pay to
file the losses so that if there is ever income in a future year, the losses
can be used at that time.

It is best to ask a CPA for further details.

Westley