[StBernard] St. Bernard Plan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 17 09:51:00 EDT 2006

Good God! I didn't even get home on that Friday till around 4:30! Then
spent Sat. boarding up, securing/picking up, getting to bank for $$$. We
got out early Sunday morning.

Let's hope the reduced population of the metro area will help for
evacuation(s) this year.

Also, the reason I asked about hardcopies of the map was that I tried to
pull down the adobe of that thing (took forever even on broadband) and I
looked at it and said no way I could print that and read it. (eyes needing
stronger eyeglasses each year! ;-) )

Jim York

17 days til the start of hurricane season. I went to the State
Police
website to view the contraflow plan. According to the plan, if you
look back
at Katrina, St. Bernard, which is in Phase I evacuation, would have
started
at 5pm on Friday (50 hours prior to tropical storm winds which came
about
7pm Sunday night) and Phase III evacuation, which starts contraflow
and
includes metro New Orleans and East Bank Jefferson,, would have
started at
3pm Saturday (30 hours prior to tropical storm winds). I don't think
people
in Orleans and Jefferson will wait until Phase III as shown on the
plan . I
think majority will leave much earlier than when contraflow starts
and it
will create a lot of traffic because there won't be contraflow until
the 30
hour mark and the massess willl be leaving well before that. Another
reason
people will leave in droves prior to contraflow is because if you
live east
of the Causeway, you will bee forced to travel east, even if your
destination is somewhere to the west of N.O.

Not too soon to start making your family's personal checklist. Many
of us
found out the hard way that the things we needed weren't with us and
some of
what we brought wasn't needed.

ddk