[StBernard] BUSINESS PEOPLE

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon May 22 22:27:56 EDT 2006

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the discussion about people who run for
office and what experience they have.
Some of the categories are-

1)those who have had elected office as their primary occupation for many
years-let's say career politicians because if they are serving well, it's a
full time job even if they have another paid job elsewhere. Aaron, Mitch and
Mary fit that description.

2)those who work in non-academic government-local, state, federal including
ports, airports, levee districts, parish, city, state, Corps of Engineers,
RTA, etc.

3)those that are in education-whether it's administration or in the
classroom. Kathleen, Tommy and Nita had this background.
Academia is it's own world.

4)those who work for a non-profit, like Ron Forman with Audubon Institute.
Governed by government, but with a private sector aspect-needs customers,
generates revenue for its operations and maintenance, markes itself, etc.

5)those who work for a franchise corporation, a monopoly, or some exclusive
arrangement. They run the "only game in town".
This would include BellSouth, Cox, Entergy, Saints, Hornets, etc. C.
Ray and Arnie are in this category.

6)those who work in the private business sector for profit, have to earn
revenue and control expenses, hire/fire at will, set their prices based on
market demand, etc. That is the purest form of business and what the public
perception is of a business because this category incurs full risk to
succeed or fail. Boasso is in this category.

My point is although #1 thru #5 should strive to follow the private business
model as their sector allows, those in #6 would take exception to those in
#1-#5 saying that they come equal backgrounds because the risk for success
factor varies as does the consequences for mis-management. I am not saying
that only those in #6 are qualified for office. They all are. It's just that
it is better to evaluate the person's leadership skills and performance in
their field, than stick a label on them and vote for or against because of
the category that they fall in. I didn't bother listing the independently
wealthy or those who have never had paid employment, but you get the point.

DEBORAH