[StBernard] can you forward this to the council

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun May 28 11:21:39 EDT 2006

jer:

I am somewhat confused by your comments in that I never once mentioned
"brutality or an in your face attitude", nor disrespect for the rights of
others. Kindly take a few minutes to read my comments again and you will
see that I emphasized utilizing the National Guard and Navy Sea bees to
assist in the demolition and clean-up efforts, and further, that these
efforts be directed first to the elderly, poor, or others WITHOUT the means
to clean their property. I have been out of work for 18 months now, and
just when I was to begin a new job Katrina hit, and we were forced to
relocate to Tennessee. I commuted every other work and worked my tail off
to clean my home, even though I had recently undergone surgery on my right
arm. This is all I ask of my neighbors - taking personal responsibility and
not waiting for government handouts or free gutting, etc. For single
mothers, the elderly, and those displaced outside of the New Orleans area,
all I ask is that they do what they can to get on lists and if possible, at
least empty the refrigerators and freezers. Too many people have taken an
attitude that if they are not coming back, then they have no interest in
making an effort to clean-up their property.

I believe that we are on the same page as far as being considerate of those
truly in need, but for those with the means, but not the desire to clean-up
their property, I firmly believe that the current deadline is far longer
that what it should be before the parish starts placing "condemned" stickers
on these properties.