[StBernard] Don't Tread On Me

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 2 13:51:46 EDT 2006

Here's my observation from viewing Council meetings for many years, but more
so from Craig's tenure (at least this latest one). (Warning: Both praise and
an constructive criticism follows):

Most of the decision making could be coming from Craig (poor guy!). I'm not
saying that the other councilman/woman are dumb, but Craig has been having
to make most decisions because others either are not astute/knowledeable or
need to follow Craig (in exception is Mr. Dean who sails his own ship and
half the time he doesn't have a steering mechanism) <smile>..Most times,
Craig has a good head on his shoulders and make wise decisions..but not
always as is my impression (but for the most part, yes). Perhaps, Craig
should be given the other 7's salaries for doing most of the work <G>>.

However, that can worry me. Craig is the knowlegeable one, but I'm not
convinced that one councilman's decision can deliver each rubust decision in
situations where an accumulative of 7 people must be needed.. It appears to
be all Craig. NOW, before there's an onslaught of criticism, let me mention
that Craig IS the most knowlegeable, most computer-techno-savvy councilman
on the team. How much "home work" is undertaken to become so schooled on the
each matter that by the time of the vote, the matter was completely thought
out to the benefit of the constituents. Remember, "council serves the
people" and critical choices require critical, considerate, compassionate
choices which carry accountability to those who represent us in office.

However, having led an organization for 16 years, I found out that without
my other 6 board members, it's all "Jer" and if it were allowed to continue
over any period of time, this would be detrimental to a great
decision-making apparatus. My board's decision needed all of the 7 board
member's "total efforts" to come up with great decisions that made a
near-great organization.

Most of us would like to see final decisions the result of each area's
"critical thinking. I'm not sold on the idea that most may be just going
along with the vote because someone's convincement made a crucial decision.
Hopefully, things are *not* being conducted as such. I'm reporting what I
see in board meetings I have attended/viewed/Read. Perhaps, it's that way
because of the harsh times in which we live, but has the democratic process
been 'truly' democratic when one votes because he/she may not be
intellectual enough to know what we need?

Again, no criticism is aimed at any individual, but we might like to see
great decisions by all, collectively delivered on each representative's
merit==without a decision being decided in a band-wagon effect manner
(notice this term appears to be most common recently).

I'm with you, Laurie, that frustration and confusion are afoot during the
most crucial months of our lives. At no other time in St. Bernard history
will we be faced with a more monumental task to reconstructing more than our
home. Moreover, the truth is that too many "gaps" are facing any hopeful
decisions. These may directly or indirectly affect an incredible group of
people who are discouraged by uncertainties and face mo' bad news at every
turn. It's no wonder so many of our friends, neighbors and loved ones to
date have not decided which way will be their destiny. To many, their
destiny is being decided by others--some good things, some bad.

But follow this: "Little money, resources and uncertainty are most
indubitably viewed as "bad mortar" for reconstructing our lives".

--jer--

Craig,

I appreciate that straight talk from you. I also appreciate that you all in
the decision making positions realize that concessions need to be made for
certain people's circumstances. This is all we ask. Straight and easy to
understand guidance as to what is expected of us and that ya'll are willing
to be reasonable. The government depending on the free gutting programs has
in turn caused us to rely on that also. But you are right that now we need
to start doing something about it and stop waiting for help. We are working
hard to do what we can for our properties and move them into compliance.
But if I may make a suggestion, it would stop a lot of confusion and
frustration if you guys would not tell us stuff that doesn't come to pass or
is just a pipe dream. If it is solid, tell us. If not keep working on it
until something more solid is accomplished and ready to be announced to the
public. We have been let down enough. This is not personal so please do
not take it that way. We are followers and just looking to our leaders for
answers. So sorry if I've been hard on you and the government. I know you
work hard 24/7 for us. I don't know many people that would want your job.
Thanks for the explaining all of that.

Laurie