[StBernard] Craig Taffaro

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 4 13:35:17 EDT 2006

44,

If your house was compliant with the elevation requirements before the storm
then you are compliant now and are free to repair or rebuild your house at
will- no raising, no changes in elevation required.

If your house was not compliant before the storm and it is damaged greater
than 50% then you will have to make the house compliant by raising the
elevation, either through raising the house or slab or raising the floor
elevation. If you tear it down and rebuild, you will build to at least the
current elevation requirements (which currently are the same as the
pre-storm). If you were not compliant with the elevation requirements
before the storm but were not damaged more than 50% (as documented by the
engineer or builder) then you are not required to change the elevation.

The only other part that is a sticking point for some is that the LRA had
stated that the housing assistance money for individuals would be tied to
following the FEMA Advisory Base Flood Elevations, which we have challenged
as not good science. We are told that the issue will be taken up by the
parish providing information that exempts us from that restriction.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig