[StBernard] Betsy vs Katrina

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 4 22:06:11 EDT 2006

Westley,

I did live through hurricane Betsy and what you say is true about the scale
of it being nothing compared to Katrina. You are correct in saying that
flood insurance did not exist, but that doesn't mean that people's
homowner's insurance paid for the damage. It did not. Homeowner's
insurance did not cover flood even back then. People were on their own.
They had to fix the house themselves with their own money or they could go
to the SBA. Most people had to make SBA loans. I don't know about a grant
money that was forgiven. I have never heard that. I was a child but I
remember my parents made a SBA loan to fix our house and they had to pay the
loan back and even had a lien on our house for the loan to make sure it got
paid back.

Laurie

>Since I was born in December 1967, I did not live through Betsy. All

>I've ever heard was that Betsy was a mean hurricane that flooded the city.

>Now, "city" was never defined in geographical terms, so I always

>pictured it as having flooded everything that we might consider

>metro-New Orleans, stretching from Kenner to Chalmette.

>Until GJS and someone else, sorry, I can't remember who, posted their

>messages about water only running from the Industrial Canal to

>Chalmette, I've always pictured everything from Kenner to Chalmette being

under water.