[StBernard] New rules set for raised homes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 7 21:37:09 EDT 2006

What I am about to say is not only my professional opinion, but I think
everyone will come to agree it is fact. In this T-P article there was the
following:

"This week's effort to add specific requirements to the building code comes
after Chalmette lawyer V.J. Dauterive filed a lawsuit in state court last
month contending that the issuance of about six parish permits for elevated
homes on exposed piers had lowered the value of adjacent property by not
retaining the neighborhood's integrity."

This is incorrect, simply because there is absolutely no way to determine if
property values had truly been impacted by the raised home in such a short
time. In order to make such a determination you need to do what is called a
thorough "market analysis" which takes at least a good 12 month period AND
you must have numerous sales in the given area of the analysis. Otherwise,
there is insufficient data to draw conclusions.

I have sat down and worked with several local lenders to try and
"guesstimate" what property values are going to do over the next year, two
years, etc. In fact, a few of these lenders are using the model I came up
with back in January to determine whether or not a property (sales price
with renovation cost) is a good investment and if they should loan the money
to the borrower. Still, even I can't say for certain what property values
will "definitely" do, simply because there haven't been enough sales or
enough time to draw more accurate conclusions.

Mr. Dauterive says property values fell when some people in his neighborhood
raised their homes. They did? Gee, I'd like to how many sales took place
in his neighborhood before the homes were raised - and the selling prices of
each - then I'd like to know the same information on sales "after" these
homes were raised. After all, that is the ONLY way you can even begin to
make an analysis. I'd be shocked if there was more than a small handful of
transfers (sales) in his neighborhood since Katrina.

I am NOT making this point to criticise Mr. Dauterive or anyone else for
that matter. I'm only trying to explain that it is far, far too early to
draw conclusions. This is like trying to predict the outcome of an election
with less than one percent of the vote tallied. Now, if the other owners in
his neighborhood simply do not want to see the aesthetic change take place,
then that's altogether something different. Each neighborhood (especially
if there is a homeowner's association) has the right to try and set
guidelines for what it will and won't accept.

John Scurich