[StBernard] Washington Post Editorial

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 8 16:10:37 EDT 2006

What I find ironic about this particular editorial in the D.C. Post is it's
the exact "opposite" editorial opinion of the New York Times. The N.Y.
Times has stated more than once over the past six months that Congress
should immediatley appropriate the necessary funds to start raising New
Orleans levees to hurricane category 5 protection. Did the N.Y Times
editors miss something the Washington Post didn't? Actually, it's the Post
that lacking a thorough understanding of the situation.

As it turns out, the Washington Post editor's opinion was not a consensus
among its staff editors buy the opinion of only one editor, Sabastian
Mallaby, who has NEVER been to New Orleans, nor has he been here to learn of
the importance of the levee protection system - not only to residents, but
to protect oil and gas infrastructure - the very same oil and gas that keeps
his butt warm during the Washington winter.

Also ironic about Mr. Mallaby - he's not even an American. He's from
Europe, in fact he's lived the lesser part of his life here in the states.
So how the hell can he say what is best for southeast Louisiana or the
United States. Being a European, Mr. Mallaby cannot begin to understand the
prinicples or values we Americans have by which we base important decisions
that will affect our lives.

I find it very disburbing the Washington post would allow the opinion of a
foreigner to represent its publication - a forieigner who did not bother to
take the time to learn about Louisiana's history and the significance our
levee system has in that history. I'm certain Mr. Mallaby is not aware of
the fact that the city for which his newspaper covers was a reclaimation
project - built upon a huge marsh area, pumped and drained of the water,
then tens of thousand of tons of dirt hauled in. That's right, our nation's
capital was once a big swamp and considered by most engineers of that time
not to be a wise location to build a capital city. The only difference
between New Orleans and Washington is D.C. is well above sea level. Had it
not been - like New Orleans - Mr. Mallaby and all the other Washitonians
would be as knowledgeable as Louisianians on the importance of good levee
protection.

John Scurich