[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Council disagrees with FEMA's elevation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 8 16:57:26 EDT 2006

Westley,

My concern is with the following statements from the Channel 4 article:

<<<Even if FEMA changes the requirements, Leger said the parish could not
escape adopting the advisories if it wants the federal dollars.

"That was a requirement that the White House and Don Powell gave to us,"
he said. "It was a requirement that we complied with in preparation of the
plan and it's a requirement that has been approved by HUD.">>>

Based on the above information, accepting the advisories opens the door to
LRA money for the ENTIRE PARISH! Granted the advisories can (and probably
will) change when they are finalized, however, "Leger said the parish could
not escape adopting the advisories if it wants the federal dollars."

Therefore, acording to Leger, if anyone in the parish is to get LRA
assistance the parish must adopt the advisories.

Alan Jr.

======================

I can't answer for the council, but let me say this. Accepting or not
accepting the advisory guidelines doesn't mean squat. When the new maps
come out 12-18 months from now, they may or may not resemble the advisory
guidelines. In other words, FEMA says 3 feet today. A year from now they
may say 8 feet or they even say no change.

As long as you follow the current map, you will be grandfathered in. If you
want LRA money, then you need to follow LRA's rules (just like they are
following the Fed's rules since they are giving us our money back).

As for when anyone will ever see any money, you are probably looking at
least three more months.

Westley