[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - June 9, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 9 21:18:14 EDT 2006

An Update from Bobby
June 9, 2006
Dear friends,

Protecting our children from indecency

<http://www.bobbyjindal.com/email_template/images/jindal_photo.jpg> On
Wednesday, the House of Representatives passed the Broadcast Decency
Enforcement Act which multiplies indecency fines 10 times the current level
in an effort to cut down on the offensive material on our nation's airwaves.
The law does not interfere with free speech or even create new violations,
but rather tries to impose meaningful sanctions and begins to restore the
"family hour" on network television especially.

Obviously, as parents we must assume primary responsibility and monitor what
our children watch, but I am very concerned that broadcast decency standards
have continued to decline in our country in recent years. My wife and I have
two young children and another one on the way, and we have become
increasingly careful about the kinds of things our son and daughter are
allowed to see and hear in the media. I am tired of having to watch
television with one hand on the remote and one hand ready to cover my
child's eyes. Hollywood constantly bombards us with increasingly violent or
sexually explicit images that are unsuitable for the healthy development of
our children. Too many television shows, popular musicians, and movies push
our children to grow up too quickly, from dressing inappropriately to using
vulgar language. It was not that long ago that families were able to watch
family programming together without fear of profanities or other elements
seemingly added for shock value alone. It almost seems like there is a never
ending contest to see which program can offend even more than the last.

People should be free to watch what they want, but such freedom is no excuse
for many of the images commonly broadcast currently during the once
sacrosanct "family hour" on the airwaves that belong to all of us. I am
deeply concerned about this trend and feel that we need to do more to
protect Louisiana values, which is why I voted in support of this
legislation. This legislation will now be sent to the President for his
signature.

Keeping politics out of the recovery process

Last week, the Louisiana State Legislature blocked consideration of a bill
(HB 1236) that would have prevented state elected officials and their
families from benefiting from contracts awarded during a natural disaster. I
strongly believe that this sends the wrong message to the rest of the nation
that the politics of old are still alive in Louisiana.

We need to eliminate even the appearance of impropriety as we still seek
federal funding to rebuild our state in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina
and Rita. I strongly encourage our state elected officials to reconsider
this important legislation to keep politics out of the recovery and relief
process. Louisiana deserves more from our elected officials.

Protecting our rights

Legislation that I introduced in Congress to protect Second Amendment rights
continues to gain momentum in Congress. The National Rifle Association (NRA)
and more than 100 of my colleagues actively support the Disaster Recovery
Personal Protection Act of 2006 (H.R. 5013), and this legislation has
already been approved by both Democrats and Republicans on the House
Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. A vote is expected in the full
House of Representatives on this legislation soon.

In fact, a newspaper in Washington, D.C. recently wrote an article
highlighting the momentum this bill has in Congress. You can read the entire
article here:
http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/060606/guns.htm
<http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/060606/guns.ht
ml>

Bureaucrats do not have the authority to come in and disregard the law and
rules that we all live by, even in times of disaster. My legislation
reaffirms the existing law that prevents federal bureaucrats from taking
firearms from law-abiding citizens who are only seeking to protect their
lives, families, and property. At a time when our heroic first responders
could not be everywhere at once and Louisiana residents were forced to put
up signs saying "you loot, we shoot," we must reinforce the rights of
law-abiding citizens.

Securing critical infrastructure in Louisiana

Last week, I had the opportunity to tour how Homeland Security grants are
being used to patrol and protect the Red River in Caddo Parish. Along this
river are vital drinking water supplies, critical infrastructure for
Barksdale Air Base, and other potential targets. As Louisiana's only member
of the Homeland Security Committee, I am committed to getting more money for
Louisiana to protect our critical infrastructure, which includes everything
from vital waterways to oil refineries to critical ports. The federal
government needs to do a better job of allocating Homeland Security money
based on threat rather than politics, so that we do not have law enforcement
units in other states with unnecessary gear they admit they do not need
while real needs here in Louisiana are under funded, and I will continue to
be a vocal advocate for Louisiana's projects in Congress. The terrorist
enemy we are fighting is evil, but not stupid. They used airplanes to attack
us on September 11, 2001, but, God forbid, in a future attack they might use
our waterways and ports. I have also toured nuclear power plants and other
critical infrastructure in recent weeks as part of my committee
responsibilities.

To watch a news report on this important issue, please visit:
http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/2916536.html?video=YHI&t=a
<http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/2916536.html?video=YHI&t=a>

Moving forward with the Jindal Bill

The House Resources Committee announced that it will hold a hearing on my
legislation next week to provide Louisiana with a fair share of energy
royalties. I am confident that my colleagues on the committee will send it
before the full House of Representatives for a vote, where I believe we have
a great chance for passage.

This represents the best chance Louisiana has to receive its fair share of
offshore royalties, and the legislation will also encourage less reliance on
foreign supplies and thus lower gasoline prices. Upon passage, the bill
would bring Louisiana up to 75 percent of energy royalties produced
offshore, which will mean more than $10 billion for the state in just the
first 10 years of the program. That amount grows to more than $28 billion
over the first 20 years and $50 billion over the first 30 years of the bill.

I will keep you informed as more happens in Washington, D.C., but as always,
please feel free to contact my offices to share your views and concerns.

Sincerely,

Bobby Jindal