[StBernard] MINUTES OF OPERATIONS BRIEFING - June 8

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 11 23:21:42 EDT 2006

MINUTES OF OPERATIONS BRIEFING
Thursday, June 8, 2006, 8:00 a.m.

Dave Peralta, Chief Administrative Officer

Present: 29

Emergency Operations: Larry Ingargiola.
1. Bob Turner called the State several times to get the derbies picked up
from the pumping stations, the State
said it's our responsible to get that removed but they have sent request up
to Washington. Bob Turner said he don't have the equipment to removed all
the debris I think we need to take this to a higher level.

Community Development: Not Present.

Public Works and Water and Sewer: Chris Merkl
Curry Reports:
1. We worked it out with the State and we will start picking up debris on
State highways. We have about 40 commercial properties that will be handed
over to Fema today and they will review them and then we can start the
pickup at those properties within next week.
2. We demolished 37 homes yesterday. We are still picking up the White goods
in the parish plus in the Murphy expanded area.
Charlie Ponstein: Asked about if there was any location that residents or
business owners can bring their debris and trash? Chris response was that
they are looking into some sites and other alternatives for our residents
and business owners.

Recovery: David Dysart.
1. The Base Camp is up and running now at the Willy P. Smith School.

Public Assistance:
Residential: Craig Taffaro.
1. Trailers for commercial parks are rolling in. We still have private site
problems trying to get people into the sites and we are working on that.
2. The Council has passed and ordinance on the appearance code for elevated
structures.
3. The house gutting list will be posted after the June 9, 2006 from the
volunteer program. The August 29, 2006 deadline is still in place.

Business: Charles Ponstein.
1. I have list of about 260 businesses that have come back or opened in a
different location in the parish.
2. Scrub-A-Dub-Dub is now open and offers dry cleaning; they are located at
311 St. Bernard Highway.
3. We also have two 24 hour Ice vendors one that is open now at 3527 Paris
Road and the 420 E. Judge Perez Dr. location will be open next week.

Private Non-Profit: Judy Hoffmeister Not present.

Volunteers: Gidget McDougall
Few announcements:
Blood Drive Monday June 12, 2006 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the DRC in
WalMart Parking Lot
Children's Fishing Rodeo June 16 & 17, 2006 at the Campo's Parking Lot in
Shell Beach.
Today a group from Augusta, Georgia that are here helping the gutting of
homes has a group of talented students that will go and perform for the
Unified School.
Also we have another Plantation down in Kenilworth that announced that they
have been accepted to the national Historian registry, now we have two
Plantations on that list.
Agriculture/Wildlife and Fisheries: Ricky Melerine. Not present.
Lake Borgne Basin Levee District: Bob Turner.
1. We still have about 30,000 yards of debris at the stations, canals and
on the right of ways the State keeps turning it over to someone else that we
have to talk to but as I said earlier we have to take this now to a high
level.
2. Another levee inspection today 9:30 a.m. for sections down in Verret. The
work is continuing on the federal levees they are already up to the
pre-Katrina elevation.
3. Their will be another project starting to raise the levee between Verret
and Caernarvon the corps are working on those plans.

Medical: Dr. Bryan Bertucci
1. We went to the State trying to get a resolution for the committee we
formed they tried to add 5 other parishes to our group, because they thought
they all needed money too. We now with draw our resolution so we don't get
too many parishes asking for money that don't need it. We have already been
approved by the State now we are going to the House.

EMS: Janie Fuller. Not present.

Public Safety: Sheriff=s Office. Pete Tufaro
1. Major Frost with the National Guard will deploy equipment into the
parish if we have an emergency during the storm season.

Fire Department: Warren Drewes.
1. We will start to clean up the OTB site.

Environmental Issues:
CDC and DEQ: Wayne Desselle.
1. We have been riding herd with demolishes mostly focusing on the work that
is being done.
2. The ESF10 Meeting is now being held every 3rd Monday each month for 10:00
a.m. and the LPC meeting will be rolled into that meeting.

EPA: No Report
Murphy Oil: Matt Dobbins
1. Clean up is on going and the refinery is in the start up mode.

Parish Government:
Council: Lynn Dean. Not present.
Parks and Recreation: John Metzler, Jr.
1. This Saturday we will be starting our baseball games, the uniforms and
schedules are to be released today after 12:00 p.m.
2. We are also staring to broaden our basis on fields for practice with
cutting grass at other parks for the teams.
External Affairs: No report.
Finance: Geremie Loupe. Not present.
Personnel: Kevin Clark. Not present.
Insurance: Mike Wiltz. Not present.
Long Term Recovery: Marvin LeBlanc. Not present.

General Information:
Next meeting scheduled for Monday June 12, 2006 at 8 a.m.