[StBernard] MRGO

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 14 08:34:26 EDT 2006

James,

Of the number of companies I mentioned (who claim to need the MRGO), the big
three are: Mersk-Sealand, Vulcan Materials and New Orleans Cold Storage
(NOCS).

Let me refresh your memory about the gentleman who owns and operates NOCS.
I make a note of pointing out this is about two months "after" Hurricane
Katrina - when talk first began about closing the MRGO to deep draft
vessels, he was quoted in the Times-Picayune as saying "closing the MRGO
could seriously impact the 200+ jobs related to his company" - and this is
after hundreds of people being killed by the waters that swept in from the
ship channel. This insensitive jackass was "still" putting the middle to
low income paying jobs of his company before the lives (and deaths) of
people in St. Bernard. This was the ultimate slap in the face to the
victims and relatives who drowned because of the MRGO. I could not believe
it when I read that. And he made that statement knowing full well there was
a proposed plan that would relocated his company to the Mississippi River so
that none of his precious jobs would be lost.

As long as you have idiots like that running companies that use the MRGO the
fight is never over until the last tenant out there has completely vacated
the area.

John Scurich