[StBernard] Governor Blanco applauds Congress for approving billions in housing and levee funding for Louisiana

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 15 22:34:12 EDT 2006

Governor Blanco applauds Congress for approving billions in housing and levee funding for Louisiana

June 15, 2006

"This is a great day for Louisiana. Today, the Senate followed the House of Representatives and voted to approve the President's Supplemental Appropriations bill. This bill includes an additional $4.2 billion in Community Development Block Grants to fully fund Louisiana's housing plan, and $3.7 billion to strengthen our levees. Additional funding is provided for other priorities, including support for Louisiana's higher education institutions that were devastated by the storms."

"Final passage of the Supplemental bill by both Houses of Congress sends a strong message of hope and renewal to Louisiana and to the entire Gulf Coast region. I offer my sincere appreciation to Congress and the American people for their generous support. Senator Thad Cochran of Mississippi deserves special recognition. There is nothing more important to our communities than returning families to their homes. In order for people to return, we must first! guarantee the safety and security of the federal levees, and this bill makes that investment."

"With the stroke of President Bush's pen, this important funding will provide a welcome lifeline of support to our families and communities. Securing this funding has been my number one priority. This marks a significant milestone in our recovery. Full-funding allows us to provide homeowners with real options and up to $150,000 in relief. It allows us to support affordable rental housing. We are well on our way to providing our people with a real road home."

"In the coming months, our houses and neighborhoods will take on a new life. Families can begin planning for their return. This marks a great day in what is sure to be the largest and most successful recovery in American history."

On Tuesday, the House voted 351 to 67 to approve the $94.5 billion bill with funding for the Gulf Coast hurricane recovery efforts and continued military op! erations. Today, the Senate followed suit with a 98 to 1 vote in supp ort of the bill. President Bush is expected to sign the final bill into law as early as today.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org