[StBernard] debris removal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 18 22:27:12 EDT 2006

Thanks to Craig, and Kenny Henderson, too, for getting debris trucks to pick
up in my neighborhood. They came on June 14, having been away for about two
months. White goods that were lingering since Thanksgiving have been taken
away, too. At first the crews said they were not allowed to take cardboard,
boxes, or anything else that was part of rebuilding. I found a private
contractor who would charge $20 per cu.yd. and he estimated I had about $800
worth accumulated since the last debris pickup. While waiting for a second
estimate, a different crew came by the next day and said that FEMA said they
could take everything. So they did. Just in case it was mis-communication or
FEMA reverses itself, I won't put anything out front anymore unless I shred
it and bag it. I spent hours raking, picking up small trash, cutting grass,
and edging the neutral ground in front of my house. What a different view
than eight months ago when the debris was 20 feet high and not getting
picked up because of the oil spill.

I long for the day the water oak tree that died is cut down so I can plant a
new one and the street lights gets fixed (only the parish can fix it
according to Entergy) so that the five homes with people in them aren't in
darkness, and that red pickup truck at the corner gets its State tow notice
sticker and is put out of its misery. Imagine not seeing your car in ten
months and then the state sends a notice saying you have 30 days or else
they'll take it away. The owner will surely chuckle when he/she gets that
letter.

By the way, to anyone with Gulf Coast Bank, its illegal to have a sign on
public right of way. Nice sign, wrong location, and it violates parish
ordinances. Just please move it on Gulf Coast property before a hundred
others businesses do the same thing.

ddk