[StBernard] New Orleans' International Shipholding Corp. moving toMobile

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 28 20:30:07 EDT 2006

Let's compare the numbers, shall we? Losing just over a hundred jobs to
Mobile, AL (of people alive and well) because of the MRGO closing COMPARED
TO the nearly 200 people who drowned as a result of the MRGO.

Gee, I'd say Mr. Johnsen and his company are getting the better end of that
deal.

I should note I had the pleasure of meeting Erik several times during the
course of serving as Walter Boasso campaign manager for his senate race. I
found Erik to genuinely be a nice guy and he was a big supporter of Walter.
However, I found him to be the type of person when presenting him with an
idea, he'll give you a hundred reasons why it won't work - never why it will
or could work. In itself that's not necessarily bad because you always need
honest input, but at the same time that's why it doesn't surprise me one bit
that I sense in his statement a tone of opposition to closing the MRGO and
putting a few economic dollars as a higher priority over the lives of people
in St. Bernard and the lower Ninth Ward.

John Scurich