[StBernard] Liability Insurance

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 28 20:47:17 EDT 2006

Genny:

We need the Louisiana legislature to pass a bill to protect innocent
homeowners, similar to the fill that was passed that city, parish, and state
agencies cannot be held liable for damages caused by buildings they own if
the damages can be attributed to Hurricanes Rita or Katrina. This bill,
Senate Bill 621 by Sen.Edward Murray of New Orleans, passed the house with a
vote of 100 to 0. There is no reason why the citizens of Orleans,
Plaquemines, and St. Bernard parishes should be denied the same protection.
After all, the government has more money to defend itself against frivolous
lawsuits than honest, hardworking citizens trying to rebuild their lives.

I encourage everyone to contact their elected officials and demand that the
same form of legislation (and protection) be provided to them during these
difficult times. Unfortunately, we are being forced to pay for a homeowners
policy that is money in the bank for the insurance company since they will
never have to pay for any damaged property, yet the homeowner needs the
policy to protect them against lawsuits..

________________________
John F.Richardson

My Mom's home was demolished at the end of May. She called her
State Farm
Agent because her Home Owners policy was up for renewal in August,
2006.
Her Agent told her if she did not plan to stay in Louisiana and
rebuild she
did not need insurance. Since she is not staying she agreed to
cancel the
policy. Well - we all know she needs LIABILITY insurance until she
is no
longer the owner of her property (now a flat slab).

Today, I her Agent and tell him she needs to keep liability. State
Farm
will not cover her for Liability Insurance if she does not have a
Owners. How is this fair? He talked her into canceling and now a
day later
he said she cannot undo the cancellation or get liability insurance
only.
What do we do now? Has anyone else had this problem? Where do you
get
liability only insurance?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Worried for my Mom.
Thanks, Genny