[StBernard] LRA

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 30 19:29:14 EDT 2006

David,

I'm gonna take a crack at this and I "think" I know what Craig would reply.

The LRA has based eligibility for funds on everyone having to raise a house
at least three feet off the ground as FEMA has stipulated. If your house
was only damaged less than 50% then you won't qualify. If the damage was
greater than 50% you qualify but would have to raise the slab house. You
can get the ICC money for that but it is capped at, I believe, $30 thousand.
You can't raise the slab house for that amount of money. Also, don't forget
that the LRA will deduct any insurance proceeds you received.

Sadly, in my mom's circumstances the house was not damaged that badly and if
I try to get the damage rated higher, say, 50%, I then have to think of
having the house raised. The cost to raise is not worth it.

So, I think the only St. Bernard folks who will "win" on this are those who
have had or will have their St. Bernard house demoed, didn't have, or had
some, flood or homeowners and are relocating somewhere within the state of
Louisiana.

If I am correct in these assumptions, there will be a lot of disappointed
Louisianians and a TON of money that won't be spent on the idea of making
one "whole".

Jim York

Craig,
You said the LRA is not the answer for most St. Bernardians but you
didn't
elaborate. I know you may be too busy to go into detail but I'm sure
many
would like to know what you mean.
Thanks,
David Jochum