[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - July 8, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jul 8 21:55:57 EDT 2006

July 8, 2006
Dear friends,

Showcasing the Stars and Stripes

In New York City last week, someone burned eight American flags that had
been flying outside the homes of residents, including one flying outside the
home of a New York City firefighter who died on September 11th. The
neighborhood was shocked, but they did what we would all do--they put up
more flags to show their patriotism. It is this kind of pride that makes
our country what it is today.

As we were preparing to celebrate our country's independence last week, my
colleagues and I in the House of Representatives voted in favor of the
Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 (H.R. 42). Throughout our
country, some homeowners associations and condos prevent Americans from
flying our country's flag at their homes because they violate association
bylaws. This bill restores every individual's right to fly the American
flag.

While we celebrate our country's independence, it is also important to honor
the very symbol of patriotism in our country. I was proud to vote to ensure
that every American can fly the Stars and Stripes.

Improving levees in Louisiana

Last week, a House of Representatives Committee approved an important bill
that will require the Corps of Engineers to inspect levees to ensure the
protection of life and property.

I am a co-sponsor of this important legislation, the National Levee Safety
Program Act of 2005 (H.R. 4650), that will improve oversight of our
country's levees so that we do not have a repeat of the devastation that
resulted from the failure of the levees in Louisiana last year.

As people and businesses begin to return to Louisiana, they need to know
that they are safe to rebuild their lives. The more uncertain the
capabilities of the levees, the more hesitant people will be to return. I
have been advocating since day one that we need a commitment from the Corps
for Category 5 protection for our levees with independent oversight of the
design and construction, and I will continue to be a vocal advocate in
Congress for ensuring our protection.

This legislation now heads to the full House of Representatives for
consideration.

Gaining attention for our bill

As you may know, the House of Representatives passed legislation last week
that I introduced to provide Louisiana with a fair share of energy royalties
produced off our coast. The newspaper in Alexandria wrote a nice story
highlighting why this legislation is important to Louisiana, and I wanted to
share the link so that you can read the entire story.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006606300301
<http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006606300301>

I will keep working to ensure that the U.S. Senate and the President
understand the importance of this issue for our state.

Celebrating the USA

I was thrilled to ride in the Fourth of July parade in Bogalusa on Tuesday.
It is always a great feeling to ride along the parade route and see
thousands of people waving the American flag. I hope you had a chance to
take some time to celebrate our country's independence and to thank the men
and women who have fought to keep the U.S. free.

<http://www.bobbyjindal.com/email_template/jindal_070406.jpg> I will keep
you informed as more happens in Washington, D.C., but as always, please feel
free to contact my offices to share your views and concerns.

Sincerely,
Bobby Jindal