[StBernard] Phone Service Woes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 11 00:34:45 EDT 2006

Melissa,

We probably need to contact our PSC commissioners to get them to lean on
BellSouth some. I don't know if that would help but it certainly could not
hurt.
Just a thought.

JLY

Does anybody have any idea how we can light a fire under Bellsouth?
This is
absolutely ridiculous! I have called their customer service line
probably
every week for months. First they had no idea that new lines even
needed to
be run. Then they told me that they have no inkling whether I will
have
phone service within even 5 years, that damage was too bad and will
take 10+
years to recover. Then they told me that I will have service June
30th. That
apparently was a lie and now they say they can't give me even a
ballpark
date. What have they been doing in all this time? I realize that
they needed
to rerun an entire grid spread throughout many parishes, but I don't
see any
progress. I have only seen their service trucks working at polls
twice in 4
months. The repair center phone line couldn't even tell me whether
or not
there were any crews working at all in the parish, not to mention
where they
might be working. I refuse to believe that the crews are running
around
whilly nilly and no one at corporate has any information on where
they have
been, where they are, and where they will be next. It stands to
reason that
someone has this information. Why haven't they shared it with us? At
the
very least, it will keep us informed and in the know, instead of
asking
endless unanswered questions. And we're basically stuck with them
too,
unless you feel like changing the phone number you've had for 30
years. I
get the feeling that they're just biding their time and trying to
get away
with as little progress as possible, that they may be waiting for
that large
influx of returning residents. Apparently they've overlooked the
fact that
many many people will not return before there is adequate services
and that
includes phone. I feel like that woman in central city who was told
her
service won't be up until July 2007. Of course if this had happened
in an
important area of the country, you wouldn't be seeing such delays.
They
would have pooled all their available resources and worked on
getting
service back ASAP. We, on the other hand, are the ugly stepsisters.
Who
cares how long we have to endure without service. Is there any way
that the
council can put a little pressure on Bellsouth to at least inform us
of
their progress. Or is too much to ask of poor beleaguered Bellsouth
to try a
little customer service.

Melissa