[StBernard] New Ordinance

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jul 14 22:02:25 EDT 2006

Ms. Keller:

This is a problem we had in Plantation Village. The house next to ours was
inherited by the owener's son. He turned it into a rental. This guy did NO
background checks or anything on his tenants. We had a couple or two that
were okay but then he rented to some "characters" who ended up renting the
garage to some illegals! Further, those illegals had as pets snakes and
such. At one point one of the pythons got into our yard and I went
apesh*t!. We had our little doxie that we let out into the back yard. When
I saw it, I went and got my gun and shot the damned thing and got it across
the fence. I went next door and told the tenants what I did and if they
wanted to call the sheriff's office to feel free. Obviously, they did not.
We repeatedly called the owner about what was going on there but he didn't
care.

I wish I had known I had an avenue to complain about this at that time.

Although Plantation Village is thought of as a "lower-class" neighborhood,
we kept our property up, maintained and such.

My father was a retired Army Officer who, when he retired from Amstar, had
significant assets. He had repeatedly said "Some people think I'm
conservative with my money. Hell no! I'm cheap! This house suits us well
enough."

When he died, he left my mother with assets worth more than 6 figures.

So, thanks to his foresight we'll be able to rebuilt even if the LRA thing
falls through for STB. However, it's a helluva a way to have to run through
your money.

JLY