[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - July 15, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 17 01:31:26 EDT 2006

July 15, 2006
Dear friends,

Growing momentum

This week we moved one step closer to securing a long-term source of funding
for building up Louisiana's hurricane and flood protection, restoring our
coastal wetlands, and improving our infrastructure. Leaders in the U.S.
Senate announced a compromise on legislation that will expand energy
production in our country while also giving Louisiana a share of energy
royalties produced off our coastline. Once the Senate approves this
legislation, which might happen as early as this week, negotiations can
begin between the Senate bill and the bill I introduced in the House that
will bring Louisiana $9 billion in the next 10 years and nearly $2 billion a
year once fully implemented.

When the Senate deal was announced, Congressional leadership publicly stated
that my bill would serve as the basis for final negotiations. This was great
news because my bill provides billions of dollars more for Louisiana than
the Senate version.

I am hopeful that the Senate will act soon so that we can get a bill to the
President's desk for his signature. Louisiana has been fighting for this
funding for almost 50 years, and I will keep working in Congress until this
goal can be realized.

Showcasing the needs of Louisiana

Earlier this week I invited the Secretary of the Department of Interior to
visit Louisiana soon so that he could see firsthand the continuing needs of
our state. I am honored that the Secretary has agreed to visit Louisiana
next week to better understand why Louisiana needs a long-term source of
money to protect our state from hurricanes and build up the wetlands that
have been rapidly deteriorating for generations.

While the Secretary is in our state, I will advocate to him for continued
support for Louisiana as we rebuild and recover from Hurricanes Katrina and
Rita. The further we get away from the storms of last year, the more our
needs slip from the minds of the rest of the nation. We have to take every
chance to remind the country that the battle to rebuild our state is nowhere
near complete. I am hopeful that the Secretary will support my energy
royalty sharing plan to provide our state with the long-term funding to
allow us to fund the projects we need without going hat in hand to
Washington, D.C. every year.

This will also be a great chance to showcase how much energy our state
supplies to the rest of the country. I am confident that the Secretary will
be impressed with how much energy Louisiana provides, just like every other
national leader that I have showed around our state. At a time when energy
prices are skyrocketing, it is crucial that we lessen our dependence on
foreign oil. My bill will help accomplish this.

Protecting families during natural disasters

Legislation I recently introduced to protect Louisiana is also moving closer
to enactment. My bill to protect the rights of Louisiana's gun owners
continues to gain support in Congress with 141 co-sponsors representing 37
states. The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee already
approved this bipartisan legislation, and Congressional Leadership have
announced a vote is expected on the House floor soon.

The momentum is growing in Congress for my important legislation that will
prevent law-abiding citizens' firearms from being taken without just cause
by federal bureaucrats in the wake of natural disasters. A similar provision
was approved by the U.S. Senate this week, and I am confident that my
colleagues in the House of Representatives will uphold the Second Amendment
to the Constitution guaranteeing the right of the people to keep and bear
arms.

I will keep you informed as more happens in Washington, D.C., but as always,
please feel free to contact my offices to share your views and concerns.

Sincerely,

Bobby Jindal