[StBernard] EM commits $10 million to Greater New Orleans Schools including St. Bernard

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jul 21 22:11:59 EDT 2006

ExxonMobil Commits $10 Million to Greater New Orleans Schools Including St.
Bernard

The ExxonMobil Foundation will commit up to $10 million to enhance public
school education in the Greater New Orleans area, bringing the Company’s
total commitment for relief and recovery efforts related to Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita to more than $23 million. Rex Tillerson, chairman and
chief executive officer, Exxon Mobil Corporation, said in St. Bernard today
that the ExxonMobil Foundation’s donation will focus on programs to promote
excellence in the teaching and learning of mathematics and science in New
Orleans, St. Bernard Parish, and surrounding school districts affected by
last year’s devastating hurricanes.

"We believe the future of the Greater New Orleans area depends upon
the rebuilding of schools to teach the skills needed for tomorrow’s
economy. As a science and knowledge based company, ExxonMobil recognizes
the importance of strong math and science programs in our schools and the
critical role that educators play in encouraging student’s interests in
these areas,” said Tillerson. “This commitment to the Greater New Orleans
area presents an opportunity to implement innovative practices in learning
and teaching of math and science.

“It is our privilege to be able to help these schools and communities
to rebuild stronger than ever,” he told a group of education officials and
math and science teachers.

ExxonMobil’s donation is aimed at encouraging student’s interests in
mathematics and science and equipping teachers with the tools and resources
they need to succeed in the classroom. Programs to be supported include
some previously developed by the ExxonMobil Foundation, in conjunction with
national math and science organizations, along with other innovative
initiatives determined to be beneficial to the New Orleans area schools.

The donation will specifically address:

· Mathematics and science teacher recruiting and professional
development;
· Innovative programs aimed at improving student comprehension in
mathematics and science;
· Support of schools aimed at mathematics and science education.

“This commitment to math and science education by ExxonMobil will
help our students and teachers prepare for the future of New Orleans,” said
Cecil J. Picard, Louisiana Superintendent of Education “We are rebuilding
our facilities and recruiting the teachers as quickly as we can and
appreciate the support we are receiving from the ExxonMobil Foundation.

Corporations and foundations are critical to the success of this effort.”

Exxon Mobil Corporation and ExxonMobil Foundation, the primary
philanthropic arm of Exxon Mobil Corporation in the United States, engage
in a range of philanthropic activities that advance education, health and
public policy in the communities where ExxonMobil has significant
operations. In the United States, ExxonMobil supports initiatives to
improve math and science education at the K-12 and higher education levels.
Globally, ExxonMobil provides funding to improve basic education and combat
malaria and other infectious diseases in developing countries. In 2005,
Exxon Mobil Corporation, its divisions and affiliates, and the ExxonMobil
Foundation provided $133 million in contributions worldwide, with $42
million dedicated to education. Additional information on ExxonMobil’s
community partnerships and contributions programs is available at
http://www.exxonmobil.com/community.