[StBernard] DEMOLITION PICK UP

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 24 00:47:13 EDT 2006

Kevin,

I am surprised by your hostility with me. The policing of the CCA group is
exactly why they have become less visible recently. At the risk of stoking
your hostility, here is more information: when CCA came on the scene and
offered to start demolition for residents free of charge, FEMA was very
explicit that if there was any coordination with parish government or the
parish contractor that CCA's debris would be ineligible debris. So people
signed up directly with CCA and as CCA began their demolition, we requested
the list of houses that they were handling and CCA assured the parish that
they had a demolition request from the owner-(mind you that we couldn't do
any coordination per FEMA). CCA took down a large number of houses in a
short period of time and as soon as they started we began to receive
problems- this was brought to FEMA who then allowed us to be involved in
coordination of the CCA work which led to it now slow ing down to address
the properties in a proper manner and investigating how some houses were
taken down without permission.

The houses that were taken down by CCA were on the demolition list with the
parish as well so we believe that CCA cross referenced that list and used it
to do some of the houses they did- the problem is that they did not do it
properly for DEQ to allow it to be hauled away. I am assuming that if the
debris had been removed, the fact that CCA took the house down would be less
relevant. If so, we are on the same page actually (albeit important for CCA
to have been stopped in their process) the immediate issue that we are
trying to resolve is to get these piles up.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig