[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - July 23, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 24 00:55:21 EDT 2006

July 23, 2006
Dear friends,

Highlighting the needs of our state

On Monday, I was honored to have the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Interior accept my invitation to join me on a tour of Louisiana. We visited some of the devastated parts of Louisiana, took a helicopter tour of our disappearing wetlands, and toured energy production rigs off our coastline.

I talked to the Secretary about a bill I introduced that will provide Louisiana with a steady funding source to begin the long-term effort of restoring our coastline, building up our hurricane protection, and improving our infrastructure. This legislation, the Deep Ocean Energy Resources Act of 2006, has already passed the House of Representatives, and the U.S. Senate is expected to debate similar legislation next week.

While we were on the tour, the Secretary came out for the first time ever in support of revenue sharing with states, a central component of my legislation. This is crucial as we seek to gain more support in Washington, D.C. for my legislation. I am confident that the Secretary understands the challenges we have before us in restoring Louisiana, and that he understands the importance of my legislation, not only for Louisiana, but for the country. At a time when energy prices are skyrocketing throughout the nation, my bill will also help to lower energy prices in the U.S. by reducing our dependence on foreign sources of energy.

I was also pleased that Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert responded to our invitation and was able to visit Southwest Louisiana to see the damage done by Hurricane Rita. It is essential that the regions of our state that were devastated by Hurricane Rita are not forgotten as we fight for recovery funding for our state.

Protecting Louisiana values

The House of Representatives took steps this week to protect every American’s right to pledge their allegiance to our country.

In 2002, the Ninth District Court of Appeals ruled that the Pledge of Allegiance is an unconstitutional endorsement of religion, a decision that sent shock waves throughout our country. Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance is an important part of every child's day. My wife and I have already begun teaching it to our very young children, so that they can fully appreciate what these words mean. Congress begins its business every morning with the Pledge of Allegiance, and it is a shame that we have to pass an Act of Congress to allow our children to begin their day in the same manner.

I was a proud co-sponsor and supporter of the Pledge Protection Act of 2005 (H.R. 2389) that passed the House on Wednesday. I was honored to lead my colleagues in the Pledge of Allegiance on the same day that this bill passed. The Pledge of Allegiance is one of the fundamental traditions that all Americans can participate in to show their dedication to our republic, and I will continue to remind my colleagues of the importance of protecting American traditions.

Voting to fund crucial Louisiana projects

This month, the House and the U.S. Senate passed an important bill that will provide funding for some vital Louisiana projects. The Water Resources Development Act of 2005 (H.R. 2864) includes authorization for comprehensive hurricane and flood protection programs, including more than $1.2 billion for coastal restoration projects.

An important provision is included in this bill that would establish independent review of Army Corps of Engineers projects from planning and design to construction. The failure of the Corps designed levees in Louisiana demonstrates the need for real reform of the current system, and I am glad to see this language included, both as a resident of Louisiana and as a taxpayer. We must make sure Corps projects are properly completed and that our taxpayer dollars are not wasted.

This bill also moves us one step closer to closing the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (MRGO). MRGO has served as a pathway to speed up hurricanes and added to the devastating damage in St. Bernard Parish last year. Hundreds of millions of dollars were included in this bill to relocate important facilities from MRGO to the Mississippi River.

In addition, last week the House Resources Committee, where I serve, voted to reauthorize one of our most effective conservation programs, the North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA) which has protected more than 23 million acres of wetlands and associated habitat since 1989.

Supporting Israel and the right to defend itself against terrorists

This week, I spoke on the floor of the House of Representatives to denounce the violence against Israel. The House also passed a resolution with my support condemning the recent attacks against the State of Israel, holding terrorists and their state-sponsors accountable for such attacks, and supporting Israel's right to defend itself. We must work and pray for an end to the tragic loss of innocent civilian lives across the Middle East. It is important that Lebanon's democratic government emerge from this struggle stronger and more stable. Our nation must denounce Syria and Iran for supporting Hezbollah and their effort to destabilize the region and terrorize Israel.

Touring the Capitol with Louisiana students

Recently, I was honored to host a group of students from throughout Louisiana on a nighttime tour of the Capitol. It is always a joy for me to have a chance to walk through the Capitol with a group of people who might be seeing this amazing building for the first time.

I hope that if you are ever in the Washington, D.C. area, you will contact my office so that we can schedule a tour for you. It is truly a unique experience that should not be missed.

I will keep you informed as more happens in Washington, D.C., but as always, please feel free to contact my offices to share your views and concerns.

Sincerely,
Bobby Jindal