[StBernard] Governor asks President to declare Katrina anniversary as National Day of Prayer

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 25 00:45:36 EDT 2006

Governor asks President to declare Katrina anniversary as National Day of Prayer

Today Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco wrote to President Bush requesting that he declare August 29, 2006, the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's landfall, as a National Day of Prayer. Governor Blanco also invited President Bush to Louisiana during the week leading up to August 29 to participate in events honoring the lives lost due to Hurricane Katrina. The text of the letter is below.

Dear Mr. President:

The one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina approaches. This brings a unique and very rich opportunity for us to join together as a nation to remember and mourn for all that was taken from us by this terrible storm. This anniversary also presents a time for us to celebrate and encourage our powerful new spirit of hope and progress that has taken root and sprung up throughout the region.

I respectfully request that you memorialize in an official and meaningful way the date of August 29th as a National Day of Prayer, as you did on our behalf last September. Certainly, thousands throughout the greater area of the Gulf Coast would be moved by and appreciate such an act. Millions more would be grateful as well - both those at home and abroad who contributed in some measure to recovery in the immediate aftermath. As you know, so many committed individuals are here continuing those efforts each and every day.

Mr. President, I have another request concerning the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. You would honor us greatly if you were to join the people of Louisiana here in this place that holds both suffering and joy - the very source of soul making and transformation which you as a man of faith understand and value. I extend this heartfelt invitation on behalf of all our citizens who daily lift you in their prayers.

Numerous activities and special events are planned for the week leading up to and the day of August 29th - when Katrina made landfall one year ago. I hope you will select a convenient time and work closely with us to demonstrate clearly - no one has been forgotten; all who help our recovery and rebuilding are appreciated; and that progress and measurable successes are evident where before there was only destruction.

Please return once more. Stand with us on the promise that today is truly better than yesterday; and tomorrow will indeed deliver our most cherished hopes and very best dreams.

Thank you, Mr. President, for your consideration and concern. I look forward to hearing from you as to the time and place I might meet and welcome you once more to Louisiana.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Governor

Cc: Don Powell, Federal Coordinator

To view a pdf version of the letter please visit the link below:
http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/072406LettertoPresident.pdf
###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org