[StBernard] NOLA CityBusiness article

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 25 23:42:00 EDT 2006

Corps proposes using MRGO wetlands as landfill

07/24/2006

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' plan for the closure of the Mississippi
River Gulf Outlet includes a proposed landfill on the banks of the MRGO.

"This proposal defies common sense," said Cynthia Sarthou, executive
director of the Gulf Restoration Network. "The Corps is supposed to be
creating a plan to restore the wetlands MRGO destroyed. Why on Earth would
we want to put a dump on 200 acres of wetlands that should be protecting our
communities?"

Proposed by Newport Environmental Services, the landfill is seeking a permit
from the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality and the Corps. It's
one of a growing slate of new landfills proposed to deal with Katrina
detritus.

"This is the classic case of pay now or pay later," said Marylee Orr,
executive director of the Louisiana Environmental Action Network. "I think
everybody appreciates the urgent need to address our waste needs but siting
continues to be a problem and a bad idea is just a bad idea."

The comment period closes Aug. 2.