[StBernard] What is going on here?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 26 21:52:15 EDT 2006

Melissa, unbelievable as your stories/rumors/chastisements sound, they are
becoming most believable at every action put into place over the past year.
Some things used to be discounted as sci-fi, futuristic or incredible
sometimes back have actually taken place as years develop.

The rumor I've heard about Murphy was that there was "oil" found somewhere
in St. Bernard Parish (perhaps in Meraux). Firstly, if this were so, would
we be led to believe that Murphy would declare it to the populace, knowing
this? How about a good ole' fashioned oil spill to help move them away from
the parish? Ah, a conspiracy?

Then, there's the conventional "politicians buying out everyone as to get
advantage to future developments, the land where oil is said to reside under
the properties", etc..

Green space? Nah, this is not a rumor. Is it a pipe-dream, perhaps
considering the right-of-ways being bought as mitigation and buyouts along
canals.

Angry? I bet you are and so are tens of thousands in St. Bernard. Remember,
pychologically..first the "shock-'n'-Awe of Katrina, then the depression,
then the fear/anxiety and finally the pis$$ed off period where everyone who
gets in the way gets as bulldozed as the houses we once called home. With 30
days or so left to ventilate our anger towards some, people are considering
what they must do to relieve the emotional pressure they endured for so
long. They're lining up and I'll bet in August every tabloid writer would
want to cover how New Orleans/St. Bernard, etc. citizens went to war against
their insurance companies, governments and Corps and those who they deem
caused their grief. Yes, a hurricane came. What happened after the hurricane
struck will be paramount to the days leading up to it.

Again, whether rumors or not, there are times where there is a degree of
truth in rumors which can get hell-bent as passed from Katrina "patient to
patient" as we are. We've been sickened by the entire mess and want someone,
something--to be held accountable for the entire rotten drama we've
"nightmared" for ooh, too long.

--jer--