[StBernard] A Letter from United States Senator Mary Landrieu

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 1 02:13:00 EDT 2006

July 31, 2006

Dear Friends,

The U.S. Senate today overcame the last major procedural hurdle
on a bill I cosponsored to increase oil and gas production in the Gulf of
Mexico and share the new revenue with Louisiana for our efforts to restore
and protect our coast and its residents.

One of my leading priorities since coming to the Senate in 1997
has been to make revenue sharing for Louisiana a reality. This bill would
give coastal energy producing states a significant portion of revenue from
new energy production off our shores -- more than a third of the total
generated.

The revenue from new production would be used to restore and
protect our eroding coastline, providing an essential buffer against the
kind of extreme hurricane damage we suffered last year in the wake of
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. It would also be used to build levees and a
more comprehensive flood control system. I have worked hard to gain support
from other senators to make sure that we pass this bill to open up the Gulf
of Mexico to more energy production and give Louisiana the resources we need
to survive.

The bill, which also shares revenue with the Gulf Coast states
of Alabama, Mississippi and Texas, would also help combat rising energy
prices. It would provide jobs for Louisianans who work to increase available
energy for the whole nation off our Energy Coast.

Today's 72 to 23 vote shows that the Senate strongly supports
the bill. I am hopeful that the bill will pass the Senate in a final vote
this week, differences with the House of Representative's version will be
overcome, and finally a bill with considerable revenue sharing for Louisiana
will arrive on President Bush's desk for his signature.

Today is an historic one for our state, and I hope you will join
me in thanking Energy Chairman Pete Domenici and Senate leaders Harry Reid
and Bill Frist for working so hard with us to make this a reality.

With warmest regards, I remain

Sincerely,

Mary L. Landrieu

United States