[StBernard] ACLU and the Cross

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Aug 6 23:02:24 EDT 2006

While I previously sent a comment on my feelings that the location for the
St. Bernard Memorial to Katrina should be placed someplace other than where
it will be, I am just appalled by the now comments on the memorial from the
ACLU.

Being the eternal optimist that I am, I feel the ACLU may have done us one
favor, and that may be bringing all current and former St. Bernard residents
together. I do hope that everyone realizes that whether we have moved,
stayed, like the current political regime or whatever and wherever our lives
are at this time that this is the time we will have to put aside the
bickering and arguing and stick together on this CROSS being there.

Hats off to Junior for "being himself" and not waiting for the proper
wording on his comments, but just speaking from the heart. I'm not sure if
our "freedom of religion" beliefs were ever defended in this wording, but
the message was loud and clear.

I am emailing the Times Picayune article to every contact around the country
I have on my email list, and I suggest everyone else do the same. While I
am sure my email list is getting tired of emails from me making them aware
of the help that is still needed in St. Bernard, they need to know that the
ACLU strikes again. Where is is pointed out in the article that they feel
Mr. Rodriguez should remember to kiss the constitution, we need to remind
them that, while we respect the constitution we also respect the right of
freedom of religion.

I say "thanks" to the ACLU for giving us the opportunity as residents and
former residents of St. Bernard Parish to join together in a common fight
(if this is what it turns out to be) and show them the kind of people we
are.

Kathy