[StBernard] Governor's statement regarding Lake Peigneur

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Aug 7 23:58:24 EDT 2006

Governor's statement regarding Lake Peigneur

"It is the state's position that the mineral lease obtained from the Mineral Board for mining salt at Lake Peigneur in 1994 is no longer valid. Without a valid mineral lease there can be no additional mining of salt to create additional caverns for natural gas storage.

"I was pleased to meet with the interested representatives of Lake Peigneur last week and told them that this permit was not a done deal, and the company would have to prove their case.

"Prior to that meeting, I tasked Natural Resources Secretary Scott Angelle to research all issues affecting this site. As a result, last week his office forwarded a letter to AGL Resources indicating our position that the 1994 mineral lease is no longer valid.

"Secretary Angelle told me this morning that the company has received the letter. We stand ready to defend the state's position.

"Furthermore, since our position is that the mineral lease is not valid, I will be directing the Department of Natural Resources to suspend the processing of permits at this site."

###

To view the letter sent to AGL Resources from the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, click the following link: http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/JeffersonIslandandHub8.2.06.pdf <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/JeffersonIslandandHub8.2.06.pdf>

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org