[StBernard] Katrina Anniversary, Stress May Push People Over Edge

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 10 22:32:59 EDT 2006

Katrina Anniversary, Stress May Push People Over Edge

TheNewOrleansChannel.com
6:45 p.m. CDT August 9, 2006
NEW ORLEANS - Psychologists are warning about a surge in mental health
issues as the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina approaches. "We know that
Aug. 29 is a day that is just looming over our heads, and we know that these
thoughts are going to come rolling back in and people are going to say, 'Oh
gosh, what's happened in the past year? What have I gone through? What can I
do?" said Sue May, of the Grief Resource Center.

The crisis comes at a critical time for the city?s mental health-care
system.

The state estimates New Orleans has lost more than half its psychiatrists,
psychologists and other mental health workers.

Counselors are available through the following agencies:

Grief Resource Center

504-818-2723

National Hopeline Network -- Mental Help & Suicide Counseling

800-SUICIDE

800-784-2433

You can also contact the Canon Hospice Center in Jefferson Parish, an
organization which is extending its services to provide people battling
storm-related depression and stress.

For more information visit www.canonhospice.com.