[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 15 01:57:36 EDT 2006

IN THIS ISSUE

PHOTO SPOTLIGHT
HOLDING TOWN HALL MEETINGS ACROSS LOUISIANA PASSING HISTORIC SENATE OFFSHORE
ROYALTIES AGREEMENT REFORMING THE SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION PROTECTING
HUMAN LIFE

The past few weeks have been very busy up here in Washington, DC. This week
the offshore royalties sharing agreement was voted on by the U.S. Senate. I
have been fighting for Louisiana to get the royalties it deserves from
offshore energy production, and I am extremely pleased to say that the bill
passed overwhelmingly with 71 votes. But now I am looking forward to having
more time to travel throughout Louisiana. Over the next few weeks I will be
holding various town hall meetings across the state.

Another important issue that has come before me here in Washington is the
need for Small Business Administration reform. Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
revealed many problems with the SBA, and we are now working to correct those
problems. With the one year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina just around
the corner, we must continue to fix the problems Louisiana has faced over
the last year, including working to ensure nobody ever has to go through the
same catastrophe again.

Following you can read more about my work on offshore royalties, Small
Business Administration reform, why I oppose federally funded embryonic stem
cell research and other key issues for Louisiana families

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

Town Hall Meetings Across Louisiana

During this August recess I am continuing to hold town hall meetings all
across Louisiana. Each town hall meeting is unique to the parish where it
takes place and covers a variety of issues. At these town hall meetings, we
discuss everything from improving health care to protecting social security
to growing good jobs in Louisiana.

I am always excited to hear the issues and concerns on the minds of
Louisiana citizens. Keeping in touch with Louisianians is my top priority,
and town hall meetings are one of the best ways to learn about the top
issues impacting Louisiana. In the U.S. Senate, I have committed to hold a
town hall meeting in all 64 parishes every Congress.

To see when I'll be holding a town hall meeting in your area, please visit
the Events Page <http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=events/events> of my
website.

Passing Historic Senate Offshore Royalties Agreement

This week, the U.S. Senate made a huge breakthrough with the passage of the
offshore royalties sharing agreement. This is a historic step for Louisiana
getting our fair share of offshore royalties. After passing royalty sharing
four times while serving in the U.S. House of Representatives, I am pleased
that I was able to negotiate this compromise in my first term as U.S.
Senator.

This is great news for Louisiana, but it is not the end. I look forward to
working closely with the U.S. House of Representatives to ensure we deliver
a bill to the President that recognizes the vital role Louisiana plays in
our national energy security. This bill is at the heart of securing our
coast and a strong, stable future for Louisiana.

To find out more about the U.S. Senate's royalty sharing agreement, please
visit this link
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=3d02d32a-619c-4980-
a84b-07983f32139e> .

Reforming the Small Business Administration

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita exposed many problems with the Small Business
Administration. As a member of the Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Committee, I was anxious to push key reforms to improve the way the SBA
handles disasters. The legislation that passed unanimously out of the
committee makes many positive improvements in the SBA, particularly in the
disaster loan program and small business contracting.

Some highlights of the legislation include a new bridge loan program,
allowing private banks to issue SBA-backed loans and stronger preferences
for local small businesses in disaster and other contracts. I am hopeful
that this important legislation will be brought to the U.S. Senate floor in
the very near future.

To read more about Small Business Administration reform, please click here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=768b1539-59df-46e3-
a1ea-b2880c7daa24> .

Protecting Human Life

Recently a bill came before the U.S. Senate that would have allowed the
federal funding of research that requires the killing of human embryos. As
a committed pro-life advocate, I strongly opposed this legislation and
supported President Bush as he vetoed it. At a time when many Americans
believe that killing human embryos is immoral, I do not believe that the
federal government should use taxpayer money to fund research that would do
so.

I believe there is great promise in adult stem cell research - it has shown
far more medical potential than embryonic stem cell research. And I believe
we can develop a common sense policy that will meet the delicate balance
between the need for advanced medical research and the need to respect human
life, without compromising our values.

Please click here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/VittersView&ID=cc75f64e-c2ea-4e4
2-8aeb-14129d865ea2> to read more about my position on stem cell research.