[StBernard] electrical permits

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 15 02:02:56 EDT 2006

Having read the concept being discussed to have the electricians file for
permits for proof of starting repair work before the 3 foot rule is invoked
reminds me of when Jefferson Parish had several rain floods in the 80s. The
insurance companies were making their customers get three written proposals
to replace flooring before they would pay. In other words,they put the
burden on the flooring companies. A relative in the flooring business
learned as the others did that they were being used to give documentation
and clearly a third of their quotes would be wasted time resulting in no
sales for them, so the next time it flooded, they all started charging for
their estimates, with the fee being deducted if they got the job
My point is, is it fair to ask an electrician to do the paperwork and file a
permit to start electrical work or do a "will call permit" as they refer to
it, meaning they don't really have the contract locked in with the homeowner
who can switch electricians, without paying the first electrician for their
time and trouble? If I was in that business, I'd have to only file for
those who have given me the substantial deposit to do the whole job or else
I'd been losing out on the real bread and butter work that keeps me in
business. I say this so that homeowners
don't expect electricians to work for free to file permits to help them not
raise their house by the deadline.

I can't imagine a CPA filing a form for me for free or for little money so
that I meet some IRS deadline, unless I have hired and paid the CPA to
actually do my taxes or I am willing to pay for his time to file this form.

ddk